Bick & Steele: Expert local government lawyers
The key legislation regulating the establishment and operation of local councils in NSW is the Local Government Act 1993 (LG Act). The Council of the City of Sydney is also regulated under the City of Sydney Act 1988.
Amongst other things, this regulatory framework determines how Councils:
- make decisions;
- manage Council-owned land;
- authorise the carrying out of certain activities (listed in Section 68 of the LG Act); and
- levy Council rates.
How we can help
Based in Sydney, we assist clients across NSW to resolve complex local government law matters. At Bick & Steele, we can help you by:
- advising you as to a Council's statutory obligations under the LG Act;
- advising and representing you in relation to any dispute arising with respect to a Council's exercise of power under the LG Act; and
- advising and representing you in any challenge to the rates proposed to be levied by a Council in respect of particular land.
Examples of projects with respect to which our Directors have demonstrated their experience advising on these matters can be found here:
To see how we can help you, please contact us.